Robin McAlpine from Common Weal @ Yes Dunfermline
Went with Jane from Inverkeithing Arts Initiative to hear Robin McAlpine from Common Weal on indyref 2. He is passionate and pragmatic about winning this time round, saying we need a campaign that:
- has the capacity to target campaigning materials more effectively
- uses personal stories rather than statistics
- has a strong narrative that a majority can buy into e.g. independence will give us a safe haven to start building a better Scotland
- gives clear, concise, confident answers to questions on currency, banking, pensions, borders
- proposes we use the necessity of designing a separate digital information system with individual identifiers – to make it work for citizens, a system for the 21st century where we are in control over who gets access to our information, apart from Inland Revenue which would be compulsory.
I think he’s right when he says ‘radical’ economic ideas like citizen’s income should come after Independence. However Common Weal has a beautifully straightforward mechanism for implementing a Citizen’s Income which starts modestly and gathers momentum to build to a level which satisfies EU legal requirement of welfare support (40 per cent of median income of EU states).
Interestingly, he thinks Brexit has muddied the waters rather than cleared it, and that in the long run we will become members of E.F.T.A. along with Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein, so retaining control of Agriculture and Fisheries.